Prep Time: 35 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- 18 Dakota Grass Fed Sirloin Steak
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 rashers thick-cut, all-natural bacon
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 carrots (peeled, cut lengthwise and cut into about 1/2-inch pieces)
- 3 stalks celery (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock (plus 1/4 cup for mushrooms)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup pearl onions (thawed if frozen)
- 8 ounces white mushrooms (cleaned and quartered)
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- Remove steak from refrigerator about 30 minutes before beginning. Cut into cubes and pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 275F. Slice bacon into 1/4-inch pieces. Place in heavy-bottom stockpot and turn heat to medium high. Cook until fat is rendered and bacon is crispy. Remove bacon with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add beef cubes to hot stockpot and brown about 3 minutes, turning to make sure most sides get brown. Remove beef from stockpot with slotted spoon and set aside with the bacon.
- Add onion, carrots and celery to stockpot and cook until onions are softened and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 1 minute. Return beef and bacon to stockpot. Sprinkle flour over all and stir to coat vegetables and meat.
- Slowly pour red wine into stockpot, and deglaze pan, collecting all browned bits from the bottom. Add 1 cup stock, tomato paste, bay leaf and thyme. Bring all to boil, cover with a tight fitting lid and place stockpot into oven. Cook for about 3 to 4 hours.
- When beef is in oven, place 1 tablespoon butter in heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add pearl onions to skillet and brown (about 5 minutes), shaking pan occasionally to roll onions around. When browned, add remaining 1/4 cup stock to skillet, bring to boil, reduce to simmer and let cook until stock has evaporated. Remove onions and reserve.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat and add quartered mushrooms, browning well and cooking until any liquid from mushrooms has evaporated. Set mushrooms aside with the onions and reserve until stew is out of oven.
- When stew is ready to come out of oven, uncover pot. Place strainer over saucepan and carefully pour contents of stockpot through strainer into saucepan. Return beef and vegetables to stockpot. Add mushrooms and pearl onions to beef and vegetables. Set aside.
- Skim any fat from liquid in saucepan. Bring to boil and simmer about 2 minutes, reducing slightly. Pour sauce over beef/vegetable mix in stockpot. Place over heat, and make sure all is heated through.
- Pour beef burgundy into serving dish, garnish with parsley and serve.
Nutrition (Per Serving)
- Calories: 350.00
- Fat Content: 20.00g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8.00g
- Cholesterol Content: 80.00mg
- Sodium Content: 393.00mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 14.00g
- Fiber Content: 3.00g
- Protein Content: 22.00g
- Vitamin A: 125.00%
- Vitamin C: 14.00%