Mexican Shepherd's Pie
A Mexican inspired Shepherd's Pie
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- 1 1/2 lbs Dakota Grass Fed Beef
- Onion (1/2 medium onion skin and root removed)
- Garlic (2 cloves - skin removed)
- 1 Serrano chile (stems and seeds removed)
- 1 tsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Red bell pepper (stem and seeds removed, and diced)
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 cp Beef broth
- Russet potatoes (1 1/2 pounds, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks)
- Skim milk (1/2 cup)
- Shredded low fat cheddar (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 Egg white
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- 4 Tomatillos (husked and separated)
- Place the tomatillos, onion, garlic, serrano, salt, and pepper in a blender. Blend until smooth, then set aside.
- Place a medium heavy skillet over high heat. Add the vegetable oil followed by the ground beef and season with salt and pepper, breaking it up as it cooks. Add the red bell pepper and corn, then sprinkle on the flour. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add the blended tomatillo mixture along with the beef broth. Cook until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Set the mixture aside.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold water and place over high heat. Add a very heavy pinch of salt to the water. Bring the potatoes to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender and a fork easily slides in. Drain the potatoes, then return them to the pot they were boiled in, and place over medium heat. Cook until all of the remaining water evaporates from the bottom of the pan.
- Preheat the oven 400ºF.
- Remove the potatoes from the heat and add the ½ cup of the cheddar and milk. Mash and stir the potatoes until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the egg white.
- Pour the ground beef mixture into a medium casserole dish (about 9x12 inches). Spoon the potatoes onto the meat and spread to seal around the edges. Sprinkle the top of the potatoes with the remaining 2 tablespoons of cheddar.
Nutrition (Per Serving)
- Calories: 314.00
- Fat Content: 11.00g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4.00g
- Cholesterol Content: 77.00mg
- Sodium Content: 718.00mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 25.00g
- Fiber Content: 2.00g
- Sugar Content: 4.00g