Dakota Family Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Simple and delicious: those are the two requirements for a slow-cooker pot roast. Take the extra 10 minutes required to cook the vegetables and brown the beef. The flavor rewards are worth it. Serve this with plenty of bread or mashed potatoes to soak up the delicious sauce this recipe creates.
- 1 1/2 Pound(s) Dakota Grass Fed Pot Roast
- 1 Tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon(s) butter
- 2 onions (peeled and cut into eight wedges each)
- 4 carrots (cleaned, halved lengthwise then cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 stalks celery (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 8 Ounce(s) mushrooms (quartered)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 Tablespoon(s) flour
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 Tablespoon(s) molasses
- 2 Tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pat roast dry with paper towels. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let rest while browning vegetables.
- Heat oil and 1 tablespoon butter in large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms and cook until softened and starting to turn golden. Add garlic and cook, stirring, another minute. Spoon all vegetables into slow cooker.
- Add more butter to skillet if needed. When foaming subsides, add roast, cooking at least 1 1/2 minutes per side, until nicely browned. Place roast on top of vegetables in slow cooker.
- Add flour to any juices remaining in skillet. Stir to combine, then deglaze skillet with red wine, whisking if needed, to remove lumps. Whisk in stock, then molasses, tomato paste and cream. Bring to boil then pour over roast and vegetables in slow cooker. Add bay leaf, thyme and rosemary to cooker and push into sauce. Cover cooker with lid and turn to low for 8 hours.
- To serve, place roast and all the vegetables onto platter. Pour sauce into saucepan and skim fat from surface. Bring briefly to boil, skim any remaining fat. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings to your liking. Pour sauce into separate pitcher to pass with the meat and vegetables. Serve immediately. (Remove string from roast if any was used to tie roast into shape.)
Note: If you decide to skip the browning step, place vegetables and beef into cooker. Whisk flour into beef stock. Add wine, stock with flour, tomato paste, molasses, cream, bay leaf, thyme and rosemary to cooker. Cook 8 hours on low.
Nutritional Information per serving (3 ounces cooked beef and about 1/2 cup cooked vegetables from cooker with about 1/4 cup sauce over all)
Calories 347; Calories from Fat 137(39% from Fat); Fat 15g; Saturated Fat 7g; Cholesterol 91mg; Sodium 199mg; Carbohydrates 22g; Fiber 3g; Protein 29g; Vitamin A 144%; Vitamin C 14%; Calcium 6%; Protein 18%