Beef Pot Pie
This beef pie makes liberal use of dark stout ale as part of the gravy, giving the filling a richness not found in other beef pot pies.
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 160 Minutes
- 1 lb Dakota Grass Fed Stew Meat
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 large carrots (diced 1/2 inch)
- 1 medium onion (diced 1/2 inch)
- 3 stalks celery (diced 1/2 inch)
- 1 cup rutabaga (diced 1/2 inch)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 5/16 cup flour
- 1 cup dark stout ale
- 2 cup beef stock
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp oil
Hot Water Pastry:
- 1 stick butter
- 6 tbsp shortening
- 7 1/2 oz water
- 4 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Heat oil and butter in large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion, celery and rutabaga. Sprinkle salt and pepper over vegetables, stir and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove vegetables from stockpot. Add stew meat to stockpot and sear well on all sides, turning as cubes brown. Meat should be well browned after 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over meat. Return vegetables to stockpot and stir to coat all with flour. With heat still at medium-high, deglaze with stout, using wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from bottom of pot.
- Stir in stock, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, thyme, allspice and nutmeg. Bring all to boil, reduce heat to low, leaving stew at barest simmer. Cover and cook 80 minutes. Stir in frozen peas, cover again and cook another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool while pastry is prepared.
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Prepare the pastry: Place butter, shortening and water in saucepan. Bring just to boil, turn heat off and stir until butter and shortening have melted.
- Place flour in mixing bowl of electric mixer with dough hook. Add water/melted mixture all at once. Mix in on low. When all flour is moistened, increase speed slightly and mix until dough is cool enough to touch. Turn dough out onto counter (no additional flour is needed; this dough is easy to handle) and knead until smooth and slightly shiny.
- Set ¼ of dough aside under plastic wrap to use as top to pie. Roll remaining dough into circle ¼-inch thick and gently place it into a 9-inch spring-form pan. Press dough into pan and up sides, making sure there are no holes in base of dough.
- Gently pour filling into waiting pie shell. Roll out reserved dough into circle large enough to cover filling, place over filling and pinch edges together to seal filling in. Cut X into center of pie and peel back the four corners of X to make a hole for steam to escape. Place in oven and cook 30 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven, brush well with beaten egg and return to oven. Reduce oven to 350ºF. Cook another 20 minutes until pie is golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Cool 15 minutes. Use sharp serrated knife to cut into pie and serve, making sure to get plenty of filling and pastry onto each plate.
Nutrition (Per Serving)
- Calories: 696.00
- Fat Content: 37.00g
- Saturated Fat Content: 15.00g
- Cholesterol Content: 95.00mg
- Sodium Content: 396.00mg
- Carbohydrate Content: 68.00g
- Fiber Content: 4.00g
- Protein Content: 22.00g
- Vitamin A: 77.00%
- Vitamin C: 18.00%
- Calcium: 5.00%
- Iron: 29.00%