Dakota Roast Beef
Nothing beats a Sunday roast with enough leftovers for great roast beef sandwiches for a day or two—even better if there’s leftover gravy. This roast is simple, but the key is the low, slow heat with this grass-fed beauty. It’s lean, so you’ll want to treat it this gently. Also, slice as thinly as possible for the best results.
- 1 1/2 Pound Dakota Grass Fed Eye of Round Roast
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 Teaspoon butter
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 2 carrots (peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 stalks celery (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and mashed)
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried thyme (or a few sprigs of fresh thyme if you have it)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 cups beef stock or bouillon
- Heat oven to 225ºF. Pat roast dry and coat all sides with about 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Heat oil and butter in heavy, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. When bubbles from butter subside, place roast in pan and sear 2 minutes per side.
- Place oven-proof thermometer into roast. Place sliced onion, carrot and celery in skillet and place roast on top. Add garlic, thyme and bay leaf to the vegetables in the skillet.
- Place roast in oven and cook until thermometer registers 135ºF, about 90 minutes. Remove roast from oven. Let rest, covered with foil and a dishcloth for at least 10 minutes.
- While roast rests, make gravy: sprinkle ¼ cup of flour over vegetables in skillet. Deglaze skillet with wine. Slowly sir in stock, trying to stir out any lumps. Cook until gravy is thickened, about 2 or 3 minutes. Strain and discard the vegetables. Whisk or use hand blender in gravy if there are any lumps left. To serve, slice roast thinly across the grain and pass with gravy.
Nutrition information per serving, about 3 ounces cooked beef and about 1/3 cup of gravy
Calories 273; Calories from Fat 143 (52% from Fat); Fat 16g; Saturated Fat 6g; Cholesterol 83mg; Sodium 347mg; Carbohydrates 4g; Fiber 0g; Protein 24g; Vitamin A 1%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 1%; Iron 12%